This week we’d like to touch on an occupation that has been around for thousands of years. Scholars generally agree that the earliest form of writing appeared almost 5,500 years ago in Mesopotamia.
Writers and authors perform research in order to give their stories authentic detail. Writers and authors develop content for various types of media, including advertisements, blogs, books, magazines, movies, plays, and television scripts. This occupation can make a median salary of $67,000.
To excel as a writer a bachelor’s degree is typically needed for a full-time job as a writer. Because writing skills are essential in this occupation, many employers prefer candidates who have a degree in English, communications, or journalism. Writers and authors typically gain writing experience through on-the-job training. They may practice and work with more experienced writers and editors before their writing is ready for publication. Writers may need formal training or experience related to a particular topic that they want to write about.
A few responsibilities of a writer are:
- Choose subjects that interests readers
- Write fiction or nonfiction scripts, biographies, and other formats
- Conduct research to get information and authentic detail
- Write advertising copy for newspapers, magazines, broadcasts, and the Internet
- Present drafts to editors and clients for feedback
- Work with editors and clients to shape material for publishing
Skills needed are:
World Famous Writer: