A Chef usually works in a restaurant or a hotel. They may also work for a contract catering company, providing food for events. Cooks also work for other food service establishments. Some cooks may work for themselves and provide their unique dishes to their exclusive clientele. This profession can make an annual of $62,000.
Cooks must take Vocational Cooking classes which last for 2 years or less. Most cooks learn through on-the-job training from the basics and some already has enough experience from their cooking class.
Different Types of Chefs
- Chef-Owner (Group Chef)
- Executive Chef (Chef de Cuisine, Head Chef)
- Sous Chef (Second Chef, Under Chef)
- Senior Chef (Chef de Partie, Station Chef)
- Pastry Chef (Patissier)
- Sauce Chef (Saucier, Saute Chef)
- Fish Chef (Poissonier)
- Vegetable Chef (Entremetier)
*Attention to Detail
A few successful celebrity chefs are:
Gordon James Ramsay
Marco Pierre White